Our fixed fee for a prenuptial agreement will be suitable for you if you want:-
- Agreed fees with no hidden costs;
- Advice from a qualified experienced family solicitor
- Your paperwork and all communications taken care of on your behalf;
- Access to your solicitor in person, by telephone or e-mail.
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
A prenuptial agreement is a contract entered into before marriage or civil partnership which outlines how a couple wish to divide their money and property should the relationship come to an end.
A prenuptial agreement encourages parties to discuss finances from the outset and can help resolve financial issues before the marriage/civil partnership has started. Prenuptial agreements are also a good way of protecting family assets or property acquired before the marriage or civil partnership. They can also help provide financial security if there are children from previous relationships or marriages. As long as such provisions are fair, they will be upheld by the court. The court is not obliged under UK law to keep to the agreement but unless there have been significant changes they are likely to regard the agreement as very persuasive. In light of recent case law, provided the relevant conditions are met, they are more likely to be upheld. Prenuptial agreements can also save time and costs. Having a prenuptial agreement which is valid and fair may help avoid long financial settlement proceedings, thus saving legal fees and expenses, tension and heartache.
The Agreement must be entered into voluntarily, with each party having had independent legal advice and must be signed at least 28 days prior to any wedding or civil partnership ceremony.
Breakdown of our fixed fee
Our costs associated with finalising a prenuptial agreement are as follows:
Our fees: £1,500.00
VAT @ 20%: £ 300.00
We will require our fees of £1,500.00 plus VAT from you at the first meeting. If you wish to pay by instalments, we will require £1,000.00 from you at the first meeting, with the remainder to be paid by Standing Order of two monthly instalments of £400.00.
What’s included in the fixed fee?
- An initial meeting with a solicitor for up to one hour advising of issues you may wish to consider;
- Obtaining the information we need to draft the agreement;
- Preparation of financial disclosure;
- A further meeting of up to one hour to discuss the other party’s financial disclosure;
- Drafting the prenuptial agreement;
- Discussions with you via letter, telephone or email up to one hour to address matters arising during the process;
- Correspondence on your behalf with your partner or their legal representative to finalise the agreement and arranging for correct signature;
- Storing the original agreement.
The fee assumes that you have agreed the general nature of what you would like to happen if your relationship ends. If you are in dispute about an aspect of this you will need advice beyond that provided by the fixed fee.
What’s not included in the fixed fee?
- Advice in relation to reports required from experts, such as a Business Valuer, an Independent Financial Advisor or Actuary;
- Issues that may arise from the non-disclosure of financial information;
The fixed fee will not be appropriate in those exceptional cases where there are, for example, a lot of discussions about exactly what should be in the agreement or where there are disagreements between the parties.
In most cases the above follows through without difficulty. In some cases there can be additional issues to be resolved and we do charge extra for this additional work. The fixed fee is appropriate in cases where the assets are below £1m and are all within England & Wales. Where there are assets in excess of £1m or outside England & Wales, a more detailed investigation of the finances may be required which may involve other experts (for example Business Valuer, IFAs and/or Actuaries) and the agreement may need to be drafted by a specialist barrister. This may mean the discussions and negotiations are more detailed and will take longer.
Any work that is required outside of the fixed fee will be discussed and further charges agreed with you prior to any work being undertaken.
Please contact Carey Vigor on 01442 872311.